Getting To Freethought Fest Events:
Freethought Festival 2012 took place in Room 3650, Mosse Humanities Building, 455 N Park Street, Madison, with overflow seating one floor down in Room 2650.
Room 3650 is most easily entered directly from the outdoors. From any direction, climb the outdoor stairs to the topmost level. The entrance to Room 3650 is located at the North-West corner of the Humanities complex, near the pedestrian bridge that crosses over Park Street. Look for Freethought Festival signs to lead the way! Use this University of Wisconsin campus map link to see the location of the building on campus.
If you are visiting from out of town, see our Information for Visitors below the photo.
Information for Visitors
Please visit the following Google Places page for a map with information about parking and speaking venues: http://g.co/maps/8hkzb
On behalf of the campus Atheists, Humanists, and Agnostics at UW-Madison, the Madison Area Coalition of Reason, and all Freethought Festival sponsors: Welcome to the wonderful city of Madison, Wisconsin!
We’re glad to have so many freethinking members of society join us for a celebration of reason at our first Freethought Festival. On this page we hope to provide information for all event guests about Freethought Fest locations, parking, lodging/accommodations, and tips for enjoying your visit to Madison!
Getting to Madison:
Dane County Regional Airport:
From the airport, head downtown via Packer’s Avenue/ State Hwy 113 (south). Packers Avenue will become Pennsylvania Avenue and then merge with East Johnson Street. Keep right on East Johnson at the junction with East Gorham Street, and continue heading southwest to the UW-Madison campus until you reach N. Park Street.
From downtown Milwaukee, take US I-94 (west) toward Madison. Continue onto WI-30 (west). Turn Right onto US-151 S/ East Washington Avenue, and continue southwest. Turn Right onto 1st Street, then Left onto East Johnson/Pennsylvania Avenue. Stay Right onto East Gorham Street, and continue heading southwest to the UW-Madison campus until you reach N. Park Street.
Chicago, Minneapolis, and Iowa Visitors:
Please navigate to the following Google Places Freethought Fest page for detailed driving directions. On this page you will find a zoom-able map with “pins” placed at locations of importance, and highlighted driving routes for out of town visitors. The Google Places page will make navigation to/from/around Madison easy!
Please visit the Google Places Freethough Fest page for a map of nearby parking locations. The best bets for nearby public parking will be:
- State Street Ramp ($1.25/hr), 422 N. Lake Street
- Helen C. White Library (Garage/Ticket), 600 N. Park Street
- Grainger Hall (Garage/Ticket), 349 N. Brooks Street
- Fluno Center (Lot 83, Garage/Ticket), Enter from Frances Street (Turn South from University Avenue, Turn North from W. Johnson Street.)
Each of these parking locations has a "pin" and an associated information box on the Google Places Freethought Fest page. Just click the appropriate pin (on the map) or text box (from the list on the left of the page), to bring up interactive directions/information.
What if you need some exercise and wanted to see the campus anyway? Free parking is available 5 blocks to the west in the Lot 20 ramp after 4:30 pm weekdays and all day on Saturday and Sunday. The ramp is at 1390 University Ave., across from the new Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery building.
Downtown Madison has many options for overnight visitors. The following hotels are closest to the campus area, and offer a range of amenities/prices.
1. Dahlmann Campus Inn Chancellors Club Madison
601 Langdon Street, Madison, WI 53703
2. University Inn on State at Frances Madison
441 North Frances Avenue, Madison, WI 53703
3. Doubletree Hotel Madison
525 West Johnson Street, Madison, WI 53703
4. Hyatt Place Hotel Downtown Madison
330 West Washington Avenue, Madison, WI 53703
5. Madison Concourse Hotel Governor's Club
1 West Dayton Street, Madison, WI 53703
6. Best Western plus Inn on the Park Madison
22 South Carroll Street, Madison, WI 53703
7. Edgewater Hotel Madison
666 Wisconsin Avenue, Madison, WI 53703
While you’re in Madison, please take advantage of the fantastic entertainment options we have.
- Stroll along State Street (just northwest of the Humanities Building). Here you will find everything from casual to fine dining, a vibrant nightlife, and an eclectic variety of shops for your shopping convenience.
- Grab a casual breakfast at the progressive Sunroom Café: http://sunroomcafe.com/default.aspx
- Need a Pick-Me-Up? Try Espresso Royale, Steep and Brew, Michelangelo’s, or Fair Trade Coffee for your caffeine fix!
- Treat yourself to delicious premium ice cream at Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream (Try the pistachio variety!): http://www.chocolateshoppeicecream.com/
- Catch a show at the renowned Overture Center for the Arts: http://www.overturecenter.com/
- Visit the State Capitol Building and Capitol Square (located at the end of State Street). Don’t miss the opportunity to stand inside the majestic rotunda, or indulge in a delicious meal at a Capitol Square area restaurant:
- The Old Fashioned, http://www.theoldfashioned.com/
- The Great Dane Brew Pub, http://www.greatdanepub.com/
- 43 North, http://www.opentable.com/43-north
- The Essen Haus, http://essen-haus.com/
- Harvest, http://www.harvest-restaurant.com/
- L’Etoile, http://www.letoile-restaurant.com/
- If the weather is nice, make it a point to grab a refreshing beverage at the UW Memorial Union, and take in the view of Lake Mendota on the Memorial Union Terrace.